Sunday, March 19, 2017

Natural Egg Dying



Natural Egg Dying

At the beginning of my teaching career I made natural egg dyes to color eggs with my second grade class as a part of a learning unit.  I cooked spinach, tea, coffee, onions, and much more.  I remember my neighbor (now my husband) across the hall in the apartment knocking on my door to tell me how smelly it was in the apartment building.  

I was absolutely delighted to recently find this article: How to Dye Easter Eggs Naturally With Everyday Ingredients.  I like how this article highlights some other ingredients for egg dying.  Some other ideas to consider experimenting with include: blueberries, cranberries, cayenne pepper, chili powder, coffee, spinach.  I am excited to try this again and I think this would be a fun, engaging experiment to try again with students.  How does natural egg dying make connection to science?  Research how colors in nature were once used by great artists for great works of art. Why is vinegar important in egg dying. Consider how long an egg should sit in the dye to obtain a subtle or rich color, predict how white eggs will produce a different color than brown eggs, and use a white crayon to draw a design on the egg before dying. 

Start experimenting with your students!  


No comments:

Post a Comment