Sunday, January 29, 2017

American Library Association (ALA) 2017 Youth Media Award Winners

American Library Association (ALA) 2017 Youth Media Award Winners

As new books are published throughout the year, my "want to read list" grows so I can read as many books as possible.  First, so I can make outstanding recommendations to students, teachers, and friends.  Second, to help in selecting books to purchase for the school libraries.  Finally, throughout the year I think about my own predictions and considerations about books that I feel are potential award winning books. 

I am excited to share the two oldest children book awards: The 2017 John Newbery and Randolph Caldecott  award winners:

I loved this magnificent fantasy!  The moon, the magic, the love, and the characters draw you in.  The injustice, the heartbreak, the sorrow keep you hoping and hoping and hoping for justice and more.  As I read this book, through the complex plot, I felt it was definitely Newbery worthy. Very few of the Mock Newbery lists that I looked at had this title listed even as an honor.  I am excited that the John Newbery Medal winner this year is "The Girl Who Drank the Moon" by Kelly Barnhill.

The Newbery honors include: "Freedom Over Me: Eleven Slaves, Their Lives and Dreams Brought to Life by Ashley Bryan" written by Ashley Bryan; "The Inquisitor's Tale: Or, The Three Magical Children and Their Holy Dog" by Adam Gidwitz; and "Wolf Hollow" by Lauren Wolk.

The Randolph Caldecott Medal winner, honoring the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children is  Javaka Steptoe for his illustrations in "Radiant Child: The Story of Young Artist Jean-Michel Basquiat."  Javaka Steptoe also illustrated the story "All of the Above" by Shelley Pearsall, the visiting author coming Friday for Literacy Night. 

The Caldecott honors are: "Leave Me Alone!" illustrated by Vera Brosgol; "Freedom in Congo Square" illustrated by R. Gregory Christie; "Du Iz Tak?" illustrated by Carson Ellis; and "They All Saw a Cat" illustrated by Brendan Wenzel.







No comments:

Post a Comment