Sunday, April 17, 2016

I Love Authors!

I Love Authors!

Meeting two nationally known, award winning authors in the same week!  Wow!  It doesn't get much better than this other than attending the ALA Conference.  

On Tuesday the keynote speaker at the WEMTA conference was one of my favorite author/illustrators,  Kevin Henkes, author of 47 books!  I still love Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, Owen, Julius the Baby of the World, A Weekend with Wendell, and many more including this year's Caldecott Honor and Theodor Seuss Geisel honor - Waiting.


Today, Paula and I met and heard Kwame Alexander speak about his Newbery winning book Crossover, his picture book titled Surf's Up, and his newly released title Booked.  Kwame shares, "I wanted to write a book about a boy who loves soccer, hates reading, likes a girl named April, unfortunately is being bullied, and his whole life changes when he meets a librarian." I hope to one day be "that librarian" that makes a difference in a student's life.

If you haven't read Crossover, this magnificent story written in novel verse will kidnap you into reading it and not wanting to put it down until you've finished.  April is poetry month, as I posted earlier this month.  If your students like sports, realistic fiction, or poetry, and even if they don't, encourage them to read this award winning story! It is a great read aloud too!

 







No comments:

Post a Comment